Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Late Review: Children's Museum of Phoenix

Just after Thanksgiving, Travis and I made the trek on our own to the Children's Museum in downtown Phoenix. Without anyone else with us, I was a little nervous about how I would manage chasing a rambunctious tot around in a place I'd never been. Our experience was nothing short of incredible, and I'm only sad we hadn't ever been before and that we haven't had a chance to go back since. From their website: Accessibility The Children’s Museum of Phoenix is an all-inclusive environment providing barrier free access for visitors. Signage is bi-lingual and in Braille, staff is multi-lingual, books and printed resources are available in many languages, and music, dance and art programs all reflect multiple cultures. Service animals are welcome in the Museum. Wheelchairs and ASL translators are available with advance notice upon request by calling our main number at 602.253.0501 and pressing zero.

 AzTAP Department of Services for Persons with Disabilities conducted an accessibility evaluation in August 2008 and summarized, “the Children’s Museum of Phoenix is the most exceptionally disability-aware arts institution this evaluator has ever surveyed.

And I would wholeheartedly agree with that statement. When we first walked in, the staff greeted us warmly. I mentioned casually that I was nervous in case Travis ran where I couldn't reach him, if we needed help, etc. The staffer assured me that any of the staffers, easily identified by their green polo shirts, would be more than happy to help me in any way that I needed. I was reassured, and then we turned the corner and were suddenly at the bottom of a huge climbing structure. For a brief moment, my heart sunk. If the rest of museum was going to be a huge jungle gym to climb on, I wouldn't be able to participate and play with Travis, who was so excited to run around, he could barely sit still on my lap.
Photo courtesy East Valley Tribune
There wasn't really anything else on the first floor beyond the giant climber and the gift shop, so we found an elevator and headed upstairs. As the elevator doors opened, we found a Noodle Forest ahead of us. Pool/foam noodles of all sizes, suspended from the ceiling, children giggling as they ran through again and again. Though he was a little hesitant at first, Travis warmed up to it by the end of the day, and we enjoyed plowing through it again and again. Since none of the noodles touch the ground, there was little in my way, just a matter of pushing the foam to the side as I pushed my way through. From the outside, it doesn't look like anything I would have been able to participate in. Sometimes you just have to try something anyway.

 We wandered through rooms set up like mini grocery stores, restaurants, played with new textures and sounds, and I chased Travis all over that floor. The biggest challenge we faced was hitting the bathroom. He doesn't quite grasp the idea of not touching everything or not crawling out under the stall doors. The next challenge? Getting him to LEAVE the bathroom. He'd have stayed at the toddler sized sink all day, washing his hands, if I'd let him.

 Just when I thought we'd experienced all the museum had to offer us, I found "The Place For Threes and Younger". Soft blocks, short tunnels, board books, toddler sized toys, and climbing gyms just the right size - for BOTH of us. Imagine my excitement when I could still hold his hand as he was at the top of the slide and coming down! As he crossed a fun, wobbly bridge! Everything about this area was easy for both of us to use, and the staffer assigned to the exhibit on this day was so welcoming and friendly. We had a blast. It was quieter in this room than in many of the others, and I felt much more comfortable just letting him run around with the few kids his own age, not worried about older kids, and I was able to put the diaper bag down, relax and enjoy watching him just have fun on his own.

The house we're hoping to rent (more on that soon!) will be just a short 15 minute drive to the Children's Museum, so I'll officially be putting a membership on Travis's birthday wish list. If you haven't yet been to the Phoenix Children's Museum, PLEASE go. If you happen to be a parent with a disability - or a parent of a child WITH a disability - PLEASE GO. Rest assured that help will be there for you if you need it, and you and your little ones will have a great time in one of the most inclusive places I've ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment